Boris Johnson, Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Suella Braverman and the Tories are brazenly threating justice, the rule of law and our human rights. The Society of Labour Lawyers has a great history of supporting the Labour Party and has a vital role in helping us win government and radically change the UK for the better.
I want to use my skills and experience to help SLL do even more. My experience within SLL includes:
- leading a team to assist Baroness Doreen Lawrence’s inquiry into Covid and BAME communities;
- proposing and securing gender balance requirements and the election of group chairs within SLL;
- working with the SLL Equality Committee to introduce equality training for executive committee members;
- editing this SLL report into the impact of Covid on the justice system;
- working hard and effectively on the executive committee, since joining in 2013 and revitalising Junior Labour Lawyers; and
- organising events on subjects from the rule of law to green finance, Brexit and more.
I would like to work on the SLL executive to help ensure Labour better communicates the damage the Tories are doing to legal aid, the justice system, the rule of law and human rights. These are abstract ideas but we need to communicate about them in relatable ways to have an impact.
I would also like to work to increase diversity within the SLL, as well as improve the governance and running of the society, drawing on my experience of advising clients on these issues.
Before I became a lawyer, I co-founded, with Rushanara Ali MP, the UpRising Leadership Programme for young leaders from diverse backgrounds and worked for Emily Thornberry MP, helping her retain her then marginal seat, campaign for more affordable housing and stop plans for 90 days detention.
SLL members who would like to find out more or have questions can email me at email@example.com.